Manitoba Dragoons was a regiment of cavalry in
the Canadian Militia.
The regiment originated with two separate infantry
The Winnipeg Battalion of Infantry was authorized 10 April
1885, reorganized in 1886, and disbanded in 1892. No. 2
Company continued to exist, renamed "Portage La Prairie
Company", and converted on 7 April 1893 to become "B" Troop of
the Manitoba Dragoons.
The 91st Battalion Manitoba Light Infantry was authorized 4
January 1889 (and disbanded 4 Nov 1892). No. 6 Company was redesignated "Brandon Infantry Company", and converted on 7
April 1893 to become "A" Troop of the Manitoba Dragoons.
The Manitoba Dragoons disbanded on 1 June 1901, with "B"
Troop being redesignated as "D" Squadron, Canadian Mounted
Rifles. When the 12th Manitoba Dragoons were raised in 1903,
they were deemed to be an official descendant unit.
Raised: 7 Apr 1893
Disbanded: 1 Jun 1901