The Dawson Rifles of Canada
Rifles of Canada was
an infantry regiment of the Canadian Militia in the 20th
Century; it was disbanded during the reorganizations brought
on by the Otter Commission.
Dawson Rifles of Canada
Dawson City, YT
Raised: 1 July 1900
Disbanded: 2 November 1905
Major H.D. Hulme, The Dawson
Rifles of Canada. He wears the cap badge illustrated in
Mazeas with what appear to be standard brass Canadian
General Service buttons and an officers' cartridge belt. A
cap badge appears to also be worn on the cross belt.
City of Vancouver Archives photo AM54-S4-: Port P14
Men of The Dawson Rifles of Canada.
The original caption noted the Dawson Rifles were raised by
Major Hulme (centre), and are shown here on Queen Victoria's
Birthday, 1902, at the NWMP quartermaster stores building in
Dawson City. Lieutenant William M. McKay is at left, Lieutenant
Richard L. Cowan at right. The uniforms are described as scarlet
serge tunics, black trousers with red piping, black boots and
Field Service Caps.
City of Vancouver Archives photo - click to enlarge
The cap badge was approved by General Order 20 of 1903. The badge
consisted of a crown surmounting a belt and scroll; on the scroll
the Latin motto "USQUE AD BOREAM" ("Far to the North"). The belt
bore the unit's name "DAWSON RIFLES OF CANADA", with gold nuggets in
a miner's pan with mining tools crossed in saltire contained within,
all surmounted by the Crown with a large maple leaf behind.
Stewart, C.H. Concise Lineages
of The Canadian Army 1855 to Date suggests a disbandment
date of 1920. Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army
gives a date of 2 November 1905. Regiments and Corps also refers
to this unit as "Dawson Rifle Company" indicating it was not of
regimental status, despite the insignia.