Canadian Army

Domestic Military Organization


Militia HQ

Canadian Forces HQ

National Defence HQ (NDHQ)

Political Institutions

Dept. of Militia & Defence

►►Minister of Militia & Defence

►►Militia Council

Department of National Defence

►►Minister of National Defence

►►Chiefs of Staff Committee


1902-1904 Dundonald Reforms
1920 Otter Committee
1936 Reorganization
1954 Kennedy Board
1957 Anderson Report
1964 Suttie Commission
1968 Unification
1995 Special Commission

Organizational Corps/Branches

1900-1968 Organizational Corps
1968-2000 Branches

Field Forces


Canadian Expeditionary Force
CEF Regional Affiliations

Territorial Reinforcement Regts.


Canadian Exped Force Siberia

1939-1940 (1945) 

Canadian Active Service Force


Canadian Army Pacific Force


Canadian Army Special Force

Field Force Formations

Canadian Corps




1st Div  | 2nd Div | 3rd Div  | 4th Div

5th Div

1st Canadian Army

1st Canadian Corps

2nd Canadian Corps

Atlantic Command

Pacific Command
1st Infantry Division
2nd Infantry Division

3rd Infantry Division

4th (Armoured) Division
5th (Armoured) Division
6th Division 

7th Division 

8th Division 
1st Armoured Brigade
2nd Armoured Brigade
3rd Armoured Brigade
3rd Tank Brigade

1 Com Div | 25 Inf Bde

Foreign Headquarters

Allied Forces HQ (AFHQ)

►►15th Army Group

►►►8th Army


►►21st Army Group

►►►2nd British Army
►►►►Beach Groups

Special Forces

1st Canadian Para Battalion

First Special Service Force

Pacific Coast Militia Rangers

Canadian Rangers

Special Air Service (SAS) Coy

The Canadian Airborne Regt

Organizational Formations

Reserve Bdes - 1941-1945

13 Cdn Infantry Training Bde

14 Cdn Infantry Training Bde

27th Canadian Brigade






1st Cdn Division (1954-1958)

1st Cdn Division (1988-2000)

Special Service Force

Auxiliary Services

1914-1918 Triple Alliance
1939-1945 Allies
1949-1999 NATO

Veteran's Organizations

Defence Associations

Canadian Cavalry Association
Canadian Infantry Association
Intelligence Branch Association

National Defence Emp Assoc
RCAC (Cavalry)
RCA Association
RCOC Association
Union of Nat Def Employees

Veteran's Associations

Royal Canadian Legion

Supplementary Order of Battle

Unit Listings by year

1900 | 1901 | 1902 | 1903 | 1904
1905 | 1906 | 1907 | 1908 | 1909
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1913 | 1914
1915 | 1916 | 1917 | 1918 | 1919
1920 | 1921 | 1922 | 1923 | 1924
1925 | 1926 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929
1930 | 1931 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934
1935 | 1936 | 1937 | 1938 | 1939
1940 | 1941 | 1942 | 1943 | 1944
1945 | 1946 | 1947 | 1948 | 1949
1950 | 1951 | 1952 | 1953 | 1954
1955 | 1956 | 1957 | 1958 | 1959
1960 | 1961 | 1962 | 1963 | 1964
1965 | 1966 | 1967 | 1968 | 1969
1970 | 1971 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974
1975 | 1976 | 1977 | 1978 | 1979
1980 | 1981 | 1982 | 1983 | 1984
1985 | 1986 | 1987 | 1988 | 1989
1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994
1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999

Unit Listings by Corps/Branch

Armoured Units 1940-1945

Cdn Dental Corps 1939-1945
Cdn Intelligence Corps 1942-45

Cdn Provost Corps 1940-1945

Infantry Battalions 1939-1945

RCOC 1939-1945

Pacific Command

Pacific Command
Authorized: General Order 264/43 effective 2 Dec 1940
Disbanded: General Order 21/46 effective 23 Jan 1946

Pacific Command was a formation similar to a corps in principle, created in 1940. This Command oversaw active formations and units engaged in the defence of Eastern Canada.


Lieutenant General H.D.G. Crerar, the Chief of the General Staff in 1940, submitted a series of organizational suggestions to the Minister of National Defence during his tenure as CGS. Among his recommendations in July 1940 was the creation of a Pacific Command. The command was established in October 1941 under Major-General R.O. Alexander as General Officer Commanding in Chief.1


Lieutenant General H.D.G. Crerar, the Chief of the General Staff in 1940, submitted a series of organizational suggestions to the Minister of National Defence during his tenure as CGS. Among his recommendations in July 1940 was the creation of a Pacific Command. The command was established in October 1941 under Major-General R.O. Alexander as General Officer Commanding in Chief.2

Area Under Command

Pacific Command comprised all of Military Districts 11 and 13 (the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, the Yukon Territory and the District of Mackenze.


General Alexander had operational command and full responsibility for administrative policy, though he delegated authority in administrative matters to the District Officers Commanding – though in practice Alexander was also performing as DOC of MD 11 in addition to GOC-i-C of Pacific Command. The two appointments were briefly separated in 1942 but after June 1942 no DOC was appointed.3

Early Defences

The main defended areas in Pacific Command had been organized at the start of the war as separate subordinate commands with their own commanders. These were the Victoria-Esquimalt Fortress, the Vancouver area (excluding Yorke Island) and the Prince Rupert area. On assuming command of Pacific Command, General Alexander proposed a mobile infantry brigade group, less artillery, to be stationed in the Nanaimo area of Vancouver Island. The 10th Infantry Brigade subsequently established a headquarters at Nanaimo in February 1941. When the brigade moved east in May to join the 4th Canadian Division, the 13th Infantry Brigade, an independent formation, moved from the Niagara Peninsula to Nanaimo.

In July 1941 the Cabinet War Committee authorized the formation of three brigade groups for the 6th Canadian Division for home defence, and the 13th Brigade joined that formation while remaining in Nanaimo. The 14th Brigade was to concentrate at Valcartier in Quebec, but the 15th Brigade was to be considered a potential reserve for Pacific Command.

These defences were considered adequate to the task of the threat of Japanese attack, according to the Chief of the General Staff, General Crerar, in November 1941, with certain exceptions such as the absence of anti-aircraft units and weapons to equip them with. The Veterans Guard of Canada had two companies on duty at the RCAF station at Ucluelet, two more at Coal Harbour, and one at Bella Bella, with four additional platoons in the process of forming (two for Ucluelet and one more each for Coal Harbour and Bella Bella). A number of coast artillery positions were also on low-angle mountings and unable to fire at long range. MAGp.157 When Bofors guns didn’t appear in large numbers, all three locations were reinforced with 75mm field guns (two each except Coal Harbour, which received one) manned by crews from Artillery Training Centers in Brandon and Shilo, Manitoba.4

The three defended areas mentioned above each had an Active infantry battalion assigned to it, over and above the three battalions of the 13th Infantry Brigade at Nanaimo as a general reserve.

General Crerar noted at the time that:

While the present dispositions are considered adequate to meet any situation that might arise, it must be anticipated that on the outbreak of war strong pressure may be brought upon the Government to increase the Active forces in British Columbia. In that event, it might become necessary to move additional troops from Eastern Canada to the Pacific Coast.5

After Pearl Harbor

Crerar’s opinion did not change on 7 December 1941 following the Japanese attacks in the Pacific. RCAF units and anti-aircraft guns were shipped to British Columbia though it was felt imprudent to shift too much from vital installations in the east, such as Halifax and Newfoundland. In the weeks following Canada’s declaration of war on Japan on 7 December, an “unimpressive array” of anti-aircraft guns trickled west and it wasn’t until April 1942, when 3.7-inch guns became available from Canadian factories, that the situation began to improve.

Additional ground troops did move west. From 12 to 19 December 1941 the 18th (Manitoba) Reconnaissance Battalion moved from Camp Borden, Ontario to Vancouver Island as mobile reserve for the Victoria-Esquimalt Fortress. New Westminster received three batteries of artillery from the prairies, becoming the 21st Field Regiment, moving to Nanaimo in March. A field company of engineers concentrated at North Vancouver in January 1942, assigned to the 13th Infantry Brigade. A field ambulance unit joined them from Edmonton, making the brigade reasonably self-sufficient.MAG

General nervousness among the population of BC grew in the weeks after Pearl Harbor as well, and the sizeable Japanese-Canadian population became a source of suspicion. The Army initially trained to protect the Japanese-Canadians from rioters bent on doing them harm, but the GOC-i-C of Pacific Command recommend removing them from the coast altogether. Partial evacuations were ordered on 14 January 1942, and a general evacuation was ordered on 26 February. Following Japanese victories at Hong Kong, Malaya, Singapore and the Philippines, the populace was “in a state approaching panic” by the end of February 1942.6

The Members of Parliament for British Columbia began to agitate for more resources, “divisions of men” rather than companies. War nerves were running high on the U.S. west coast as well. A Japanese submarine shelled an oil refinery in California on 23 February, and the “Battle of Los Angeles” took place two days later when anti-aircraft guns fired 1440 rounds at imaginary targets. No similar incidents occurred in Canada but the press remained vocal, clamouring for more military resources. On 16 March 1942, Premier Hart met with the three senior officers of the Navy, Army and Air Force, which included General Alexander, who felt there was no advantage to piling up troops in areas (such as British Columbia) where were not yet directly threatened.

The Premier replied that he appreciated these facts, but the people of the province were alarmed and were "obsessed with the necessity of the adequate protection of British Columbia from any possible eventuality and until this can be assured did not appreciate the necessity of sending weapons and equipment abroad". Alexander faced an unpleasant situation. On 19 March he reported to Ottawa, "The morale of the public in British Columbia is undoubtedly at a very low ebb", adding that "the wildest statements and rumours" were in circulation.7

Major-General H.D.G. Crerar
Chief of the General Staff

Lieutenant-General Kenneth Stuart
Chief of the General Staff

In February 1942 Major-General Crerar recommended the completion of the 6th Division and the creation of brigade groups for a 7th. He left the CGS position to go overseas and his successor, Lieutenant-General Ken Stuart, took the matter forward for approval. This sizeable increase to the Army was approved alongside an expansion of the RCAF from 16 squadrons in Canada to 36. The expansion was designed to calm fears on the west coast, but quickly became considered inadequate, and the 8th Canadian Division was proposed. On 20 March the CGS revised the threat assessment of the west coast, from previously estimated small forces to the possibility of an enemy raid by as many as two brigades of infantry. The creation of two brigades for the 8th Division was approved by the War Committee the same day.

Additional forces were authorized in March, including five independent infantry battalions for airfield defence and local reserves. In April, the size of anti-aircraft units previously authorized as sections or troops were expanded to become entire batteries, with additional batteries also approved. By the end of May 1942, Pacific Command included 13 infantry battalions, with six more arriving in June. The 6th Division and two brigade groups of the 8th Division were earmarked as general reserve for Pacific Command and the rest of western Canada (the third brigade group of the 8th Division went to Valcartier as mobile reserve for eastern Canada). When the Aleutian Islands were invaded by Japanese forces in June 1942, the War Committee approved the completion of the 8th Division’s order of battle.

The 6th Division under Major-General A.E. Potts headquartered at Esquimalt with responsibility for Vancouver Island. The 8th Division under Major-General H.N. Ganong established headquarters at Prince George with responsibility for the Queen Charlotte Islands, and the US airfield at Annette Island. His command included the northern section of B.C. north of a line running from Bella Bella on the coast, through Chilko Lake, Ashcroft, west of Kamloops, and along the main line of the Canadian National Railways to the Alberta border west of Jasper. Both GOC had previously commanded brigades overseas.

In March 1942 General Alexander was appointed Commander-in-Chief, West Coast Defences. This was intended to coordinate the activities of all three services, giving him strategic direction of all Navy, Army and Air Force resources in the west while maintaining tactical control of the ground forces.8

War Comes to North America

By 20 May 1942, the Americans passed on their intelligence about an impending operation in the Aleutians. General Alexander advised his senior commanders of a possible Japanese attack on Prince Rupert. The CGS arrived on the Pacific Coast to take personal control on 30 May and General Stuart combined his duties as CGS with those of COC-i-C Pacific Command. Alexander was made Inspector General for Central Canada on 1 July 1942. When Stuart handed over the reins of Pacific Command, it was to Major-General G.R. Pearkes, VC, who had returned from his command of 1st Canadian Division oversas. He took over Pacific Command on 2 September 1942.

The Japanese occupation of Kiska and Attu on 6 and 7 June 1942 raised fears once more in British Columbia, as did the shelling of Estevan Point on Vancouver Island by Japanese submarine I-26 on 20 June – marking the only time enemy shells fell on Canadian soil in either world war. The shelling was ineffective, causing no injuries and almost no damage to the wireless station and lighthouse at Estevan.

The resulting fear among the populace prompted additional reinforcement of the Prince Rupert area with more anti-aircraft guns and an armoured train running from Terrace to Prince Rupert. The train carried a company of infantry along with two 75mm guns, four Bofors anti-aircraft guns and two searchlights, making its first run on 29 July and covering the 90 mile trip just about every day thereafter during the summer.9

Prince Rupert was a strategic asset which the Americans were relying on as a port of embarkation for movements to Alaska. The northern terminus of the Canadian National Railway was located there, with the line following the Skeena River for 120 miles (80km) inland. The line carried 2500 tons of supplied daily for the US Army, in addition to the requirements of the growing number of Canadian defences. A unique partnership was formed between the CNR, which operated the train, and the Canadian Army whose troops and weapons the train carried.10

In February 1942, the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers were also authorized. The force grew to 14,000 men, peaking in August 1943 at 14,849 all ranks, with 115 companies up and down the west coast.

The fundamental idea behind it was to utilize the local knowledge of fishermen, trappers, farmers and other residents of the coastal region, who would provide information for the regular forces and report subversive activities or sabotage, in addition to resisting minor enemy' attacks. Training was limited to preparations for these tasks; there was, special emphasis on rifle practice, usually carried out on ranges constructed by the men themselves. The P.C.M.R. wore khaki denim uniforms with a distinctive arm-band. Had there been any active operations on the coast, this force would certainly have played a useful part.11

The most northerly position defended on an ongoing basis was Whitehorse in the Yukon, with an airfield there as part of the Northwest Staging Route by which American aircraft could fly to Alaska. An airfield defence platoon arrived in the autumn of 1942, reinforced by an anti-aircraft battery in the early summer of 1943. When the Japanese withdrew from the Aleutians in August, both Canadian units were withdrawn from the Yukon.

Headquarters of Pacific Command moved from Esquimalt to Vancouver in November 1942 with 21 infantry battalions divided among four subordinate commands. The 19th Brigade at Vernon had good communications north and south permitting rapid reinforcement of any threatened point. In the summer of 1942 the 3rd Battalion, Regina Rifle Regiment, converted to become the 2nd Airfield Defence Battalion, absorbing the Aerodrome Defence Companies that had been formed to protect RCAF stations in B.C.12

Vancouver Island area Commanded by GOC 6th Canadian Division:
  • 13th Infantry Brigade (Nanaimo)

  • 18th Infantry Brigade (Port Alberni)

  • Victoria-Esquimalt Fortress (artillery, 3 infantry battalions and a reconnaissance regiment)

Northern British Columbia area Commanded by GOC 8th Division
  • 14th Infantry Brigade (Terrace)

  • 16th Infantry Brigade (Prince George)

  • Prince Rupert Defences (2 infantry batalions)

Vancouver Defences
  • two infantry battalions and artillery
Pacific Command Reserve
  • 19th Infantry Brigade (Vernon)

Pacific Command peaked at 34,316 all ranks of the Active Army on 12 June 1943.


The home defence divisions (6th, 7th and 8th) were never completed with the full range of arms and services, being created to fit into an existing static organization. They thus drew their support from the Commands (Atlantic/Pacific) and Military Districts. In particular, artilllery support was expected from the existing fortifications and permanent installations, therefore the divisions never mobilized to the full war establishment strength. The 6th and 8th Divisions in Pacific Command were between 1100 and 1200 men short of full establishment on 17 April 1943. The majority of men (about 75%) in these two divisions came from conscripted soldiers serving under the National Resources Mobilization Act, and about half the men on garrison duty were conscripts. General Service troops (those who either enlisted to serve overseas, or were conscripted but volunteered for overseas service) were funnelled towards the overseas forces, though age (both too young and too old) and medical category made many of the G.S. men in Canada ineligible to go overseas.


see also the article on Operation Cottage

Allied plans to clear the Japanese presence from the Aleutians led to the involvement of the headquarters of the 13th Infantry Brigade, along with three infantry battalions in Pacific Command found to be numerically strongest: The Canadian Fusiliers, The Winnipeg Grenadiers (recreated after the original battalion was destroyed at Hong Kong) and The Rocky Mountain Rangers. The desire to include a French-speaking component led to the addition of Le Regiment de Hull. The Canadian brigade group was organized on the lines of a U.S. regimental combat team, which included a battalion of combat engineers. Le Regiment de Hull replaced the engineers in the 13th Infantry Brigade group, and each of its companies was detached to the other infantry battalion teams. Other units included the 24th Field Regiment and 46th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery from the Royal Canadian Artillery, the 24th Field Company of the Royal Canadian Engineers, a heavy-weapons company of The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.), and the 25th Field Ambulance, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps.

The brigade group sailed on 12 July 1943  from the Vancouver Island ports of Nanaimo and Chemainus. Four U.S. transports carried 4,831 Canadians of all ranks, with 165 men of the force absent without leave. There were many last minute changes in the four weeks leading up to the operation, and men were resentful of being switched from unit to unit. The francophones of Le Regiment de Hull recorded just six AWL cases in contrast to the English-speaking units. Canadian involved also included the bi-national First Special Service Force which sailed from San Francisco.

On 21 July the 13th Canadian Brigade Group disembarked at Adak and conducted combined training with U.S. forces, culminating in a landing exercise at Great Sitkin Island under the watchful eye of Major-General Holland M. Smith of the United States Marine Corps. General Pearkes established Advanced Headquarters, Pacific Command at Adak on 8 August. In all, 5,300 Canadians took part in the landings on 15 and 16 August 1943. Under the cover of fire from three battleships, two cruisers and 19 destroyers, the Canadians landed on Kiska to find the Japanese had departed eighteen days previously. Four Canadians were killed by mines, booby-traps and accidents with ammunition.13

Reduction and Disbandment

Over the course of the year 1943, Axis fortunes declined and the threat to Canadian shores declined from what was probably never a really serious threat to begin with. The expulsion of the Japanese from the Aleutians and the waning of German U-boat fortunes in the Atlantic permitted a reduction in Canadian defensive measures and as early as May 1943 discussions began about the disbandment of some home service infantry battalions. The Chief of the General Staff reported on 30 August 1943 that substantial reductions in forces in both Pacific and Atlantic Commands were possible and recommended disbanding the 7th and 8th Divisions and reducing coastal and anti-aircraft defences, over 20,000 men in all, which would permit the transfer of physically fit and age appropriate general service volunteers to overseas duty and return lower category men to civilian life. On 13 September the Minister of National Defence announced the disbandment of the 7th and 8th Divisions, and the reduction of the 6th Division, keeping three brigade groups (with four rather than three battalions each) under the division and forming a Training Brigade Group in Eastern Canada. Beginning in October 1943, some coast defence batteries began to be placed "in maintenance" and others had their crews reduced. By the end of the year the coast artillery and anti-aircraft defences that had been so painstakingly built up had largely disappeared.

Headquarters of the 6th Canadian Division moved from Esquimalt to Prince George in October 1943, but only coordinated the training and administration of its three component brigade groups which reported directly to Headquarters Pacific Command for operational purposes. This organization was intended to allow the brigade groups to operate independently, and in cooperation with American forces against the Japanese in the northern Pacific area, but these operations never materialized.

The 13th Brigade returned from Kiska in January 1944, and departed Canada for the United Kingdom in May 1944 after a partially successful effort to convince N.R.M.A. draftees to volunteer for active service. The brigade converted to a training brigade once overseas.

The 6th Canadian Division reorganized with three infantry brigades of three battalions each in August 1944, with a newly formed 16th Brigade replacing the 13th. When the reinforcement crisis materialized in the autumn following the opening of the campaign in Northwest Europe and the heavy fighting in Normandy and Italy, more changes occurred. On 16 November 1944 the Chief of the General Staff (now Lieutenant-General J.C. Murchie) recommended disbanding the divisional headquarters and retaining one infantry brigade group and two infantry brigades. The recommendations were approved by Cabinet on the divisional headquarters disbanded on 2 December 1944. The decision to send conscripts overseas meant there was no reason to retain units in Canada as a potential reserve for the overseas force. With no further threat to Canadian territory, the units of the division were free now to go overseas as formed units, and did so. The 6th Division and infantry battalions not serving in the retained brigades provided two brigade headquarters, nine infantry battalions and a reconnaissance regiment from western Canada, and four infantry battalions from eastern Canada to serve in Europe. Once overseas, all were broken up for reinforcements.  Just eight full time infantry battalions remained in Canada, Newfoundland and the West Indies.

The headquarters of Atlantic Command disbanded in November 1944 with the Military Districts in the Maritimes resuming normal activities, while Pacific Command remained longer, only being redesignated as Headquarters Military District 11 on 23 January 1946. On the same day, Western Command, a peacetime organization, assumed control of ground forces in Western Canada.14

Order of Battle

Pacific Command as on 24 April 1943

Only major units of the Canadian Armoured Corps, Royal Canadian Artillery and Infantry, plus some divisional units, are shown below.

PACIFIC COMMAND Headquarters:-Vancouver, B.C
15th (Vancouver) Coast Regiment R.C.A.
28th Anti-Aircraft Regiment R.C.A.
The Royal Rifles of Canada
The Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Vancouver, B.C
26th Field Company R.C.E.
The Winnipeg Light Infantry
The Prince Albert Volunteers
3rd Bn. Irish Fusiliers (Vancouver Regiment)
No. 25 Field Ambulance R.C.A.M.C.
Vernon, B.C.
Divisional Troops
9th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment R.C.A.
22nd Field Company R.C.E.
6th Divisional Signals R.C. Sigs
6th Divisional Ammunition Company R.C.A.S.C.
6th Divisional Petrol Company R.C.A.S.C.
Esquimalt, B.C
The Brockville Rifles
1st Bn. The Edmonton Fusiliers
2nd Bn. The Canadian Scottish Regiment
Port Alberni, B.C
24th Field Regiment R.C.A.
25th Field Company R.C.E.
The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.)
The Rocky Mountain Rangers
1st Bn. Irish Fusiliers (Vancouver Regiment)
The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment
No. 3 Field Ambulance R.C.A.M.C.
Nanaimo, B.C.
31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment C.A.C.
5th (B.C.) Coast Regiment R.C.A.
27th Anti-Aircraft Regiment R.C.A.
21st Field Regiment R.C.A.
3rd Bn. The Regina Rifle Regiment
Le Régiment de Hull
Esquimalt, B.C
Divisional Troops
8th Divisional Signals R.C. Sigs.
No. 29 General Transport Company R.C.A.S.C.
Prince George, B.C.
22nd Field Regiment R.C.A. (One battery with Prince Rupert Defences)
21st Field Company R.C.E.
The Kent Regiment
The King's Own Rifles of Canada (Two companies with Prince Rupert Defences)
No. I Field Ambulance R.C.A.M.C.
Terrace, B.C.
24th Field Company R.C.E.
The Oxford Rifles
The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)
3rd Bn. The Edmonton Fusiliers
Prince George, B.C.
17th (North British Columbia) Coast Regiment R.C.A.
34th Anti-Aircraft Battery R.C.A. (at Annette Island, Alaska)
The Midland Regiment (Northumberland and Durham)
The Winnipeg Grenadiers
Prince Rupert, B.C.

General Officer Commanding in Chief, Pacific Command

Name Dates in Command
Maj.-Gen. R. O. Alexander, D.S.O 17 Oct. 40 - 30 Jun. 42
Maj.-Gen. G. R. Pearkes, V.C., C.B., D.S.O., M.C 2 Sep. 42 - 15 Feb. 45
Maj.-Gen. F. F. Worthington, C.B., M.C., M.M 1 Apr. 45 - 22 Jan. 46

Uniform Insignia

At the start of the Second World War, it was felt that colourful unit and Formation Patches would be too easily seen, and a very austere set of insignia was designed for the new Battle Dress uniform, consisting solely of rank badges and drab worsted Slip-on Shoulder Titles. In 1941, however, the trend was reversed, and a new system of formation patches, based on the battle patches of the First World War, was introduced.

The new formation patches were made from three materials mainly; felt and wool being most common, and canvas patches were adopted in the late war period as an economy measure.

Pacific Command adopted a Green diamond in the same shape as the patches worn by the 1st and 2nd Canadian Corps headquarters in Europe, generally 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall.

Artifacts and photo courtesy of Bill Alexander.


  1. Stacey, C.P. Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War: Volume I: Six Years Of War (Queen's Printer, Ottawa, ON, 1956), p.166

  2. Ibid, p.166

  3. Ibid, p.166

  4. Ibid, pp.164-169

  5. Ibid, p.167

  6. Ibid, pp.168-169

  7. Ibid, p.171

  8. Ibid, pp.171-172

  9. Ibid, p.174

  10. Lucy, Roger V. The Armoured Train in Canadian Service (Service Publications, Ottawa, ON, 2005) ISBN 1-894581-25-3 pp.3-13

  11. Stacey, Ibid, p.174

  12. Ibid, p.175

  13. Ibid, pp.499-504

  14. Stacey, ibid

Other References

  • Tonner, Mark W. On Active Service (Service Publications, Ottawa, ON) ISBN 1-894581-44-X

© 1999-present