The Royal Canadian Dental Corps
The Royal Canadian Dental Corps was an organizational corps of the Canadian Army, briefly during the last part of the First World War, and then from 1921 to the time of Unification when it was replaced by the Dental Branch.
On 20 Apr 1915 the Canadian Army Dental Corps was created as a corps of the Non-Permanent Active Militia. The corps disbanded on 1 November 1920. The corps was raised again under the same name the next year on 15 June 1921. On 31 August 1939, the corps was redesignated The Canadian Dental Corps, and on the same day a Regular component was created, also designated The Canadian Dental Corps.
Both components were redesignated The Royal Canadian Dental Corps on 15 January 1947.
On 1 September 1969, the RCDC became the Dental Branch of the Canadian Armed Forces.1
First World War
During the First World War the corps provided personnel under the supervision of the Director of Medical Services for the Canadian Corps in France, and personnel under the Director of Dental Services for service in the UK and Canada.
The corps provided care under the Director General of Dental Services for Canadian personnel in Canada and abroad, serving around the world.
The Canadian Army Dental Corps is believed by historians to be the first separate military dental service in the world. Individual dental officers had served previously as attachments to Canadian units in the lines of communication (the 1st Canadian Contingent had one dental surgeon unofficially attached to each Stationary and General Hospital). In early 1915, 19 officers and 38 other ranks were serving overseas in a dental capacity.
Once authorized in May 1915 by Militia Order 257, the CADC had an authorized strength overseas of 30 officers, 34 NCOs and 40 privates. By 11 November 1918 the CADC had 233 officers, 221 NCOs and 238 privates.
CADC personnel eventually performed several functions:
Dentists in the field operated primarily at field ambulances, casualty clearing stations, General and Stationary Hospitals, and at base camps, forestry and railway units. One dental officer was generally assigned to each of these units. A chief dental surgeon was assigned to each divisional headquarters, a dental surgeon to each brigade of mounted rifles and artillery, two dental surgeons to each infantry brigade, and one to each field ambulance. Divisional Troops and Corps Troops also received two dental officers each. Each dental surgeon had a Batman and an Orderly to assist him.
At Le Havre, the Canadian base camp there included a dental store, Canadian Corps dental clinic and a dental laboratory. General clinics were opened in the UK at training centres, command and discharge depots, special hospitals, segregation camps, and in London to care for officers of the Ministry, Overseas Military Forces of Canada.
In Canada, each Military District contained facilities for soldiers on leave from overseas who needed emergency treatment as well as a centralized dental store.
Second World War
The CDC operated everywhere Canadian soldiers operated during the Second World War.
Dental services were also provided to the 25th Canadian Brigade during the Korean War.
Canadian Army Dental Corps
Two cap badges are identified by Babin as having been issued during the First World War; the DS version is (according to Babin) a manufacturer's error, with the correct version having OS for "Overseas".
In 1921 with the reauthorization of the corps, the DS badge continued in use (according to Mazeas).
The Canadian Dental Corps
The Royal Canadian Dental Corps
Cloth Shoulder Flashes