1st Canadian Division 1988-2000
The First Canadian Division refers to four organizations raised during the 20th Century.
1st Canadian Division
1st Canadian Infantry Division (1939-1945)
1st Canadian Division (1954-1958)
1st Canadian Division (1988-2000)
The first formation so designated was a fully manned and equipped combat division which formed the initial contribution of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. A second iteration was raised for the Second World War, and served in I Canadian Corps. The last two iterations of the 20th Century were peacetime divisions. This article refers to the Division created in 1988.
The 1st Canadian Division was reactivated in 1988 and consisted of 4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade, based in Lahr, West Germany; 5e Brigade du Canada, in Valcartier, Quebec, and supporting elements such as a headquarters and signals unit in Kingston, Ontario.
With the end of the cold war at the start of the 1990s, a new orientation evolved for the Division. When the NATO task ceased, on 1 April 1992 the Task Force Headquarters role was assumed, with a Signal Regiment, Intelligence Company, and other units taken under command as needed for operations. The responsibility to exercise tactical command and control of several brigade groups remained but was also extended to Joint Task Force scenarios as well. Subsequently, a December 1992 deployment of the Division Headquarters to Somalia in this role confirmed the appropriateness of the new task.
On 1 June 2000, the Division was disbanded.
Major General Michael K. Jeffery, OMM, CD (24 Sep 1997 - )
The "Old Red Patch" of a red cloth rectangle, 3-inches wide by 2-inches tall, was adopted once again as a uniform distinction, and worn on the Garrison Dress Jacket, in modern materials with swiss embroidered embroidered edges. The colour was not subdued for wear on Garrison Dress as other insignia was. On the DEU Jacket, a melton patch was worn. The patch was only worn on the left sleeve, and the applicable brigade patch on the right sleeve.
The Old Red Patch: The 1st Canadian Division 1915-1988, Minister of Supply and Services Canada, 1988. ISBN 0662561473 NDID A-JS-000-000/AF-001