4th Battalion, CEF
sailed for the UK from Quebec on 23 September 1914 aboard S.S.
Tyrolia, disembarking on 14 October 1914 with a strength
of 44 officers and 1121 other ranks. The battalion went to France on
11 February 1915 as a component of the Canadian Division (later 1st
Canadian Division), serving in the 1st Infantry Brigade. The
battalion moved to England from France on 23 March 1919, disembarked
in Canada on 21 April 1919, demobilized at Toronto on 23 April
1919, and officially disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September
1920. As part of the Otter Committee recommendations, the battalion
was officially perpetuated
by The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and The Dufferin Rifles of
Canada. The latter unit was amalgamated in 1936 (with The Haldimand
Rifles) to become The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada.2
Stewart lists the battalion as being affiliated with the 86th, 120th and 205th Battalions, and the battalion was eventually reinforced by the 3rd Canadian Reserve Battalion.
In 1914, there had been little time to adopt distinctive unit badges for the hastily assembled battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. As many battalions were drawn from men from several of the pre-war Militia regiments, there was a desire to avoid using existing badges and forming associations with those existing units, in favour of creating new identities - the General Officer Commanding the 1st Canadian Contingent (later 1st Canadian Division) is quoted as saying sometime in October or November of 1914 "there must be distinctive badges for each unit."3 Until unit badges were approved and issued, a mixture of pre-war Militia badges and maple-leaf pattern General Service badges were seen.
Metal cap and collar badges were also worn on service dress.
In mid-1916, cloth "battle-patches" were added to the sleeves of the Service Dress and greatcoat. The 1st Division was distinguished by a red rectangle, 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall, worn on each upper arm. The 4th Battalion was further distinguished by a green square worn above the rectangle, the green indicating the 1st Brigade, and the square indicating the junior battalion in the brigade. More information on formation patches can be found in the article on the organization of the division.